[Approximate Reading Time : 4 mins]
Artificial intelligence (AI) is not new to the publishing industry. Many fear that automating will take away their jobs, but you must understand that automating is not autonomous. AI relies on humans at all levels. When vast, seemingly endless, data has to be made use of, make AI your little assistant.
AI works through machine learning, wherein the computer processes the data fed into it, identifies patterns, and analyses how a human does the job. Based on this, it creates and adjusts an algorithm to perform similar tasks. The more you use it, the better it becomes. Thus, AI has the potential to significantly cut production costs, errors, and man-hours.
- AI is already in use to create content on fact-based topics like sports, and nobody knows the difference. Just feed the variables, and it is good to go. The technology required for reporting is primitive when compared to that which is required to write quality descriptions or narrations.
- Reformatting the same content to fit the standards of different publishing platforms can be monotonous and tiring when done manually. AI software doesn’t get bored and can reproduce the content in the desired format within a short period of time. It uses templates and the guidance of an editor to achieve completion.
- Content translation is another time-consuming work, especially when one has to localize the content. The automated translation software used normally is not on par with translations done by humans. However, experiments on natural language processing (NLP), which analyses translations done by humans to better understand the human language, are happening.
- Some AI technology detects plagiarism, spam, and abusive or inappropriate comments and removes them, which is quite common.
- Chatbots personalize user experience by greeting users and interacting with them, by taking them to the product or service they are looking for much quicker, and by responding to queries.
- AI can also correct grammar and flag complex errors for the user.
- Auto-tagging of unstructured data is available with AI-powered technology. Image recognition and auto-tagging by AI save money and time by making image archives easier to use so that assets need not be bought again.
- AI can manage journal submissions and fast-track articles.
- Content personalization is a marketing strategy that can generate income. You can track user behavior with AI, and it can recommend content according to the user’s preferences, consumption patterns, and what content is likely to engage them better.
- Similarly, prediction of future behavior is also possible with data science and predictive deep learning and analysis. This is particularly helpful when publications have subscribers.
While AI can accomplish much, we are very far from robot-written fiction. They can copy the style of an author, but their content is often not understandable. Here’s what publishers can do with AI: use it to edit, format, typeset, translate, and tag content; observe user trends; and understand the audience, competitors, and market.
Amnet offers technabled publishing services that give your content a cutting edge. Adapt to the digital revolution with us: https://amnet-systems.com/services/.
1. https://www.woodwing.com/en/blog/how-artificial-intelligence-can-help-publishers-thrive .