[Approximate Reading Time : 4 mins]
Since its launch in 2007, Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) has proven to be a boon for numerous established and aspiring authors alike. It offers you the convenience of self-publishing your book without the fear of rejections or untoward delays. Statistics from the US indicate that Amazon’s market share of self-published print books increased to 92 percent in 2018 from 6 percent in 2007. Similarly, towards the end of 2019, over a hundred thousand authors from India had signed up on the KDP service, with this number expected to grow exponentially in the future.
While KDP publishing helps you reach out to millions of readers with ease, it comes with its own set of challenges. To successfully harness the full potential of Amazon KDP, you need to get your manuscript ready for publishing.
Formatting, copy editing, preparing an EPUB, and designing a book cover are just some of the things you need to look at. Here, engaging the services of a reputed publishing company might be the way to go. A large number of publishers now offer author services to help independent authors succeed in their self-publishing goals. The following author services are worthy of consideration when you are looking to self-publish.
All That You Need to Know About KDP Services
- Paperback Formatting (KDP) – Specific layouts, spacing, and margins are just some of the things to tick off your list when formatting a paperback for KDP. Consistency in style and appearance is important to ease of reading.
- eBook Formatting (KDP) – Just as with a paperback, the right type of formatting can help turn your manuscript into an excellent eBook too. Skills in Kindle formatting techniques can come in handy here.
- Copy Editing – With copy editing. you can rectify the flaws in your manuscript on a technical level. Professional copy editors can help you with the right syntax, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Line Editing – Line editing, on the other hand, helps enhance the clarity and style of your manuscript. When done well, this can make the difference between a good book and a great book.
- Copy Editing and Project Management – Opting for copy editing services plus project management can help you rest easy. With a dedicated team of skilled personnel ensuring that your book is ready for publication, you can focus on other things that matter, such as marketing and advertising.
- Cover Formatting – While the age-old proverb might say, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” it is true that a well-formatted cover can change the fortunes of a book! KDP guidelines tend to be quite specific in this regard, and it is important to get it right.
- Interior Formatting – There are plenty of apps and word processors available that let you format your book content according to specifications. However, this can be a tedious and time-consuming task.
- Reformatting – There may also be occasions when reformatting your manuscript becomes inevitable. This can lead to unnecessary delays in the timeline, and seeking professional help might be the best course of action.
- Physical Files to Paperback (KDP) – KDP stipulates the use of PDFs on its platform. Thus, any physical files will have to be converted and formatted before you can proceed with publishing.
- Interior Review Changes – Appropriate illustrations and images can add to the readability of your book. An interior review can afford a fresh perspective on the contents and help enhance its value.
- Manuscript Review and Changes – Getting a pair of fresh eyes to review your manuscript can help improve your work quality. It can help ensure the accuracy and timeliness of what you have written before publication.
- EPUB to Paperback (KDP) – The formatting requirements for an EPUB will significantly differ from that of a paperback in KDP.
It is likely that you are skilled in one or more of these publishing requirements and can get the job done yourself. However, given the extremely precise guidelines by Amazon, seeking professional assistance seems a better option than getting stuck midway. Take your pick of this wide range of author services to shore up your chances of success in KDP publishing. To know more, visit Amnet Author Services or send an email to [email protected]